B I O G R A P HY
Minneapolis artist Nancy Patrick Carney’s imaginatively stylized paintings feature urban landscapes and the diversity of people who live there. Working from her studio/gallery in the Northrup King Building in the historic arts district of northeast Minneapolis, she creates images that are colorful, quirky, playful expressions of 21st century life: bus stops, musicians, men and women and children at work and play in the city. With an emphasis on design and expressive color, Carney’s paintings in watercolor, oil, acrylic, collage and mixed media give visual form to the vitality and energy of contemporary urban life.
Carney has a degree in art education from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. She has worked as a commercial artist, package designer, illustrator and art teacher. She exhibits regularly at Gallery G and with a variety of art organizations and fairs. Her paintings have received numerous honors and awards and hang in personal and corporate collections. Some recent accomplishments include:
2012 - Award of Merit for Minneapolis Farmers Market, Minnesota Watercolor Society's Fall Exhibit
- Escape Artists group show "Master Manipulations" at Hopkins Center for the Arts, Hopkins, MN
- NEMAA Fall Exhibit at the Solar Arts Building, Minneapolis, MN
- Wisconsin Wonder and Saint Louis Spirit licensed for Puzzle Twist™ jigsaw puzzles
2011 - First Place Award for Family at Bus Stop – Northstar Watercolor Society’s “Artists for Abundance” to benefit Second Harvest.
- Group Show of The Critical Thumb, “Mississippi River Paintings” at Banfill Locke Center for the Arts, Fridley, MN.
- Chicago Dazzle licensed for Puzzle Twist™ 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle.
- People’s Choice Award for Hot Town – NEMAA Fall Fine arts Showcase
2010 -Painting Hometown Spirit commissioned for Courage Card.
- Bus Stop Collage in the “Foot in the Door” exhibit at Minneapolis Institute of Art.
- Chairman of “Art in Motion” at LaRive Condominiums, Minneapolis, MN.
- Co-chair of "C-Note Art Market" at the Northrup King Building.
2009 - Honorable Mention for Rain, Minnesota Watercolor Society’s spring juried exhibit at Minnetonka Center for the Arts.
- Beauty School (Aveda Girls) exhibited at Minnesota State Fair juried competition.
- Painting Riverfront chosen as 2009 Courage Card.
- “Benefit to End Homelessness,” group show and sale at Traffic Zone Gallery, Minneapolis, MN.
2008 - Best of Show for Cityscape: Nicollet Mall, Artists del Norte Northern Showcase juried competition, Blaine, MN.
- Attained Minnesota Watercolor Society signature status.
- Group show of The Critical Thumb, “The Road Less Travelled,” at The Depot in Red Wing, MN.
- Honorable Mention for Cedar-Riverside, Minnesota Watercolor Society Fall Exhibit.
Please visit Gallery G and the Nancy Carney Studio in the Northrup King Building (www.northrupkingbuilding.com) in northeast Minneapolis. Check the CALENDAR page for open studio events, additional shows and exhibits, and a schedule of classes.